Monday, April 15, 2013

Journal Entry for "Waiting for Superman"

Every time I watch a documentary in English 1102, it seems my faith in humanity diminishes just a little bit. While watching "Waiting For Superman", my fears have come true. I hear everyday from someone attached to the education system, whether it be a teacher,student, principal etc, that the "system is broken". It seems that they're not wrong. I was shocked at how bad things actually are even though I already knew how they were, if that makes sense. The two things that struck the most punch was the fact that U.S was ranked 23 out of 29 developed countries in regards to math/reading and when asked how we (meaning U.S students) ranked, we thought we were number 1. It just shows exactly how OVER-confident we are as a country. I know I might be messing with patriotism when I say this but WAKE UP AMERICA, WE'RE NOT NUMBER ONE! The actual fear of people shunning me for saying this is prevalent because the belief that America is number one is bred into us from birth lol.
The other thing that stood out from this documentary was the belief that bad neighborhoods do not produce bad kids, it's the other way around. That makes complete sense! I now feel angry at our education system because we need to change this. Just the other day, while I was playing a online video game, a kid said,"you got died" instead of  "you got killed" (keep in mind I was laying a shooting video game). I was indeed speechless as how do I respond to that?? I was beyond myself in disbelief that this kid,who sounded around 15, had no better grammar than a four-year old. This had to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment