Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Education Essay.


IDIOCRACY


Every time I watch a documentary about our Educational System in America, it seems my faith
in hope and humanity diminishes just a little bit. If someone asks me what horror movie is the
scariest to me, I snicker in my response and say, “The scariest, most terrifying movie I have ever
seen was the movie Idiocracy.” Most people are confused in my response but to be honest, the
movie hits so close to home… especially when talking about our education system here in
America.  While watching "Waiting for Superman", my fears of America turning into this bestial,
obtuse society are starting to come true. I hear everyday from someone attached to the
education system, whether it be a teacher, student, principal etc, that the "system is broken". It
seems that they're not wrong. Despite countless efforts to change our educational system, I
was shocked at how bad things actually are. I now feel angry at our education system because
we need to change this. It’s petrifying to say the least.

 Just the other day, while I was playing an online, shoot em up video game, a kid said, “You got
died" instead of “you got killed". While my mouth dropped open while disgust played over my
face, I was speechless and almost felt chafed. I was beyond myself in disbelief that this kid, who
sounded around 15, had no better grammar than a four-year old. This had to change. While
researching statistics, I found out why. According to Students First, reading proficiency is
nothing to write home about among our middle school and high school students. “On the 2009
NAEP Reading Test, about 26 percent of eighth graders and 27 percent of twelfth graders
scored below the "basic" level, and only 32 percent of eighth graders and 38 percent of twelfth
graders are at or above grade level.” (StudentsFirst)  Take a moment for that to sink in a bit.
You might need to re-read the statistic again because God knows I did. We are not even near
50% of all eighth and twelfth graders who are at the basic level in reading. It’s no wonder we’re
getting closer to that Idiocracy fear of mine. If we can’t even read at a basic level, it’s going to
take a miracle to teach, train and inform individuals how to do basic everyday functions.


Moving on, the confidence in America is definitely one to be noted. It seems the saying
“America is #1” has been hardwired into our psyche since birth. We hear it all the time. It’s no
surprise to me that when academically tested, we’re over-confident in thinking we are the best.  
“Although America is falling behind in math, our kids are first in confidence.  American students
get terrible math scores compared to their international peers, but they think they’re great in
math—in fact, they have more confidence in their math skills than students from any other
country.” (Education) I might shock a few people in saying this and risk my accountability of
being a patriot, but WAKE UP AMERICA! WE AREN’T #1 ANYMORE! This overconfidence is
costing us million in taxes. We spend so much on education just to see so many of our kids
dropping out of school throwing that money away really. “Over one million children drop out of
school each year, costing the nation over $240 billion in lost earnings, forgone tax revenues,
and expenditures for social services.” (DictionaryProject). We need to stop glamorizing shows
like Jacksass, Nitro Circus, and/or Dumbest Stuff on Wheels because it teaches kids that this
behavior is ok. Before I open that can of worms and risk changing subjects, I’ll move on.

Now, I’m not going to fill your brain up with overwhelming facts of impeding doom. There are
some worthy and notable advocates that are helping our educational system implement
positive change.  Some individuals are starting to get the right thought-pattern and waking up
to the idea we might be doing it all wrong.  White knights like Michelle Rhee, who are strong-
willed, courageous and innovative on how to bring forth some of those changes. Sheis a
change agent who had already transformed many urban public school systems through her
work with The New Teacher Project (TNTP) which she founded in 1997, and is now a nationally
recognized leader in understanding and developing innovative solutions to the challenges of
new teacher hiring.” (NCTQ) It takes some strength to stand up to the big bosses of our
government and to ‘the system’. I commend her work and hope others will copy her
courageousness and stand up for what needs to be done.

With hat being said, in the end, my fears matter. Every single human being living and breathing
in this country should be worried about our education system.  We need to get our heads out of
this conceited way of thinking that we’re number one because, clearly we’re not anymore.
Be afraid people. Despite the best efforts of amazing teachers and educational advocates, we’re
still declining and moving closer to watering our plants with mountain dew-like substance
instead of water, like the movie.  God help us. 

6 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I see the same types of issues on Facebook,Twitter, text and other media. People misspell words and use horrible grammar. I am not the best speller or grammar student but sometimes I can't help but wonder if the bad spelling is a typo, joke or if kids and teens really don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that our current school system is a wreck. I think as a parent I can't sit back and think my children are going to learn everything they need to know at school. It is my duty as a parent to teach them and to be active participant in their education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your essay. You used some great facts and statistics to keep the reader interested, and the writing all flowed in a great way. I like how you used an example you witnessed of a child using improper grammar. This is such a sore subject with me, as I notice on a daily basis the lack of education and sometimes common sense among those around me. I agree with what you said about how we need to stop glamorizing shows that bring out the dumb in us all. Great essay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your essay i could not agree with you more and I wish more people would have more fear for our school system. It seems as if education is being swept under the rug and more people are taking less interest in our children's futures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseanna (Above comment): Good for you for taking matters into your own hands! Rebecca, as always, I've enjoyed reading your essay. Your writing style is a lot more personal, in your face and reactive. Compared to structured and rigid, I dig it! It seems like you're very passionate about this topic, and it shows well in your essay. P.S. I also enjoyed Idiocracy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Every time I watch a documentary about our Educational System in America, it seems my faith in hope and humanity diminishes just a little bit"--- You said it, I could not agree with you more on that statement.. Great paper I enjoyed it..

    ReplyDelete