Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reality TV? is it real(ly)?

Let's be honest here... What's real about reality TV nowadays? Ratings are majority of any show on the tele and let's face it, life gets mundane or on repeat at times. So what do they do?? The producers add a little somethin somethin here and there to spruce up "real" life a bit.
On top of the sprinkled additives, most shows are focused on topics that are a bit extreme and cater to the "prurient of human instincts" (p.94 Elements of Argument, Tenth Edition; text). Statistics show that it also is linked to lower intelligence....No, I'm kidding but when I watch a so called "reality" show on TV, that's how I feel. For the most part, I'm talking of shows like the Bachelor, Jersey Shore, whatever Housewives show,The Swan, The Kardashians....need I continue??  Oh, wait. Here's the icing on the cake:16 and Pregnant. Let's go ahead glamorize this so young girls get the idea that they might get rich if they get pregnant.
 I'm shaking my head here in disappointment but I do want to point out that there are some really informative reality shows out there. I'm sure they're rigged too but at least I don't feel as guilty for watching them. Shows like Deadliest Catch , Dirty Jobs and Treasure Hunters are somewhat informative of what people do in "real" life. I hope things change. I really do. I'm forever an optimist.  Hey, that can be a reality show..."Forever an Optimist", starring a hopeful, naive woman, that still has faith in humanity. Yeah, that would do well...

No comments:

Post a Comment