Friday, February 22, 2013

Hmmm... my reflection on the guest speaker presentation

After reflecting over guest speaker Mo Garcia's "Find Your Passion, Live your Purpose" presentation,  I found that I enjoyed the speech and the speaker himself, but I don't know if I agree with what he was trying to get across. As a 32-year-old student, I found that a lot of what he was saying was most likely geared toward a younger generation student. "Finding your purpose" is definitely a hot topic for kids within the range of 18-25. The information and guidance he was relaying would help tremendously for most young adults. 
 As someone that has found my purpose, I found that what Mr. Garcia said, "money will follow passion" a bit shocking. This did NOT happen for me. I am a licensed massage therapist and have been one for the past 6 years. I love being a LMT. It's my passion. I am a firm believer in the power of massage and am a huge advocate for it. It's been my life, my world and what I love to inform to unaware individuals. Do I make money? Absolutely not. I'm broke all the time because it's not easy work. I have zero health insurance, zero benefits(time off,sick days) and have zero security for the future  I'm actually physically falling apart from minor injuries due to the job. Because of all of these things happening, I have gone back to school to perhaps find another "purpose" or to just get the education I need in order to find a career that I can establish so I can fulfill my massage passion.  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting perspective. Maybe there's a way to still follow your passion and be able to make ends meet without struggling? That's the question of the day.

    ReplyDelete